Friday, January 3, 2014

Snow White and paint

     I plan nothing, well that's not entirely true. I plan things all the time but never follow through with them. I like to shake things up a bit and live design wise, by the seat of my pants and mostly the dollars in my wallet. (Or lack there of). When I woke up this morning or more like when I went to bed last night, I was already pretty sure there would be no school. I really didn't know what or how much I would be able to get accomplished with the kiddos running around.  Which is okay unless you are chomping at the bit to get some serious house stuff underway.

Well inspiration struck me when I looked out and saw this. 


     That's my deck looking all snow covered. If you notice to the left its shoveled out, that would be the Husband's doing and where the grill is. We pretty much grill all year round. Seeing the bright whiteness of the snow reminded me of a project that I have had in my head for a long time now, but kept putting off in order to do other projects. 

Here's my coffee table.   I'm not sure what I was thinking when I painted it that awful pea green.  I'm still glad I took the risk.  If you don't try, you will never know.


     It's a coffee table now but it didn't start out as one. In fact it started out as a sofa table, as in behind the sofa. Okay, let me back up and give you the brief history of this table. I love Empire furniture, as well as Duncan Phyfe, and Eastlake. This piece was a mahogany stained sofa table. I purchased this off eBay around 13 years ago. The seller actually drove this piece down to my house from New York at no cost, because it was important to him that it was going to a good home. 

     My husband and I were renting a town house at that time but had just put an offer down on our first house. I knew it would work perfectly for the elongated living room that house had. And it did! It was the first piece of furniture we bought for that house. It's also a piece that I know I will have for the rest of my life. I've never grown tired of it and have never seen anything I've liked more, but when we moved to this current house, I was worried. The layout of this house was much different and using it as a sofa table just wasn't a viable option. Panic began to set in until I came up with the idea of having the legs cut down to coffee table height. 

     In came my Brother-in-law,  he tends to be our general contractor and guides my Husband through many projects.  He cut the legs down and I've held onto them for a just in case any future furniture arrangements will require it to be restored. 

    A couple of years ago I decided to change things up and painted the coffee table a bold green. I liked it for a while, but really started to give thought to painting it all white. I just didn't want the hassle of sanding, priming, painting, and sealing again. Well, the table through use (play area) for the kids has gotten a bit banged up. I actually don't mind, it adds to the life of a piece. 

     Looking out the window today, I became inspired enough to get the paint out (same paint as I use for all the trim), grabbed a paintbrush and moved the table into the kitchen. Lucky for me it's on antique casters. I cleaned it, and gave it a light sanding. So far, I've given it 1 coat of primer. 



Here's the top. 


The kids love to stash some rather interesting things inside this drawer. 


     The chunky legs I love so much.  I'm hoping I can wrap up this project by the end of the weekend. 

What are your plans for this weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment