Sunday, January 12, 2014

Helpful tips on building a cornice

   


  I have so many things to share with you all.  I managed to get 2 big projects done, purchase a great piece of furniture, do a little project, and re-style my dresser.  I'm exhausted to say the very least, but yet feeling very accomplished.  I'm not going to share everything with you on this one post, but throughout the week I will reveal all I've done.  I like creating a little bit of suspense and drama.

     I will share with you a project that has been in the works for a couple of weeks now. My husband built his first ever triple window cornice.  This wifey is beaming with pride. I just showed him the pin off of Pinterest, picked out the molding, and painted it.  He had to figure out how to make it and do the cuts.  Here is the pin we ended up using, but just enter "cornice DIY", and you will find plenty to choose from.

     Okay, here's the nitty gritty on doing a project like this.  It's probably not the best idea for your first ever cornice to be 10 ft wide, but the nice thing about being a novice is, you don't already know that.  This project is also a lot easier if you have experience making miter cuts.  If you don't, just plan on some trial and error and be sure to have some extra wood. 

     The first thing to do is measure out the size of your window outside of the molding.  You can decide on building in the curtain rod or not.  I already had a drapery rod up, and just measured from one end to the next and added an inch to each side. 

     I chose an already primed piece of MDF, and my husband built a 3 sided box.  Liquid nails and a nail gun become your best friend in this project as well as using blue painter's tape to help hold things together.  Next comes the molding, this is where it all gets a little tricky.  Plan all your angles first to ensure they all fit like a puzzle. The inside of the cut has to be the width of the box, not the outside.  My husband placed shims on the inside of the section of the molding (can't be seen) to add additional support. 

     Installation is a little easier, the hard part is already done.  For this we used 6 L-brackets for a 10 ft section.  Be sure to drill small pilot holes in the top section of the cornice, if you don't then you run into the problem of pushing up the cornice rather than pulling it into the bracket. 

     I should mention I painted all the wood before installing it, and used already primed wood.  Also, the cost is higher than you would think.  We spent around $100, but keep in mind we did a cornice for the length of 3 windows.  Here are a few pictures below of our cornice project.
        
                                                     
 
Here's the not so pretty basement work shop.
 

             I chose both a top and bottom molding for the cornice.


 
 
I painted it here on the floor, just ignore the painters tape on the dresser, that's a possible future project. :-)
 
 
 
And here is the final product!! I am seriously proud of the hard work my husband put into this.