Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Painting a chevron wall

     Here's a project that just LOOKS complicated and time consuming, but believe me this project was done in just 4 hours, with a minimal amount of "tools". In fact all you need to figure this out is a pencil and graph paper to start. 


I knew that I wanted 4 wide columns, in order to achieve that, I measured the width of the wall and cut it in half. That left me with 2 sections, so I divided each in half and that's how I figured out the size of my columns. Easy right? 

Now onto taping those columns. A laser level didn't work for me because it needs to be level going horizontal and didn't level out going vertical. Here's a little trick. Let gravity be your guide, just look out for falling apples. Take a long piece of string ( something like butcher's string) and any metal (not to heavy, but enough to give your string a good weight) and tie your string to the metal weight. Look for a piece of metal that you can easily attach a piece of string to. Here's the part that requires an extra pair of helping hands. Go to your middle section and find your measurement you previously graphed out. You are going to use your string as a straight guide as to where to place your tape. I found my mark on the wall, placed the string flush against the wall, give it a second to stop moving all around, and now place your tape. My painter's tape is 1.5 inches wide, so I eyeballed the middle of the tape, and let the string be my guide. It helps to step back and give it a good look after you have finished taping it out. When you finished that you can begin to figure out your angles. 


Here's a look at the whole wall taped out.  Note that I created a border all around the wall using the painter's  tape. Also I had previously painted the solid color a few weeks before. It was just lacking and needing a little wowing! Keep in mind whatever color your wall is will be the color of your outline. 


I used 45 degree angles (pretty standard), to figure out where to tape, get out your graph paper and draw the 45 degree angle on the sections you have graphed out. This will tell you where to make your lines, then take your tape measure out and make your marks on your tape. Try and use one long piece of tape for your angled pieces. This part of the process took around 2 hours.  I promise it just seems complicated. Stay with me, this next part is where the fun begins. 

I chose alternating white and pink. The white paint is the same I use for all my trim and the pink I had matched to the lid of a can of spray paint. I painted my first coat starting with the pink, once that was done I moved onto my first coat of white. Then started with my second coat of pink, and once that was finished onto my second coat of white. Don't let your paint dry before removing the tape. You want to do this while your paint is wet! 


First coat of pink.


First coat of white. 



I love it and you will too! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment