Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mantel makeover

    In yesterdays post, I showed you my fireplace mantel inspiration.  I've only started the first step in achieving that look, which is where I painted a rather large white square above the mantel.  The actual molding and tiling will come at a later time. My husband can now take a deep sigh of relief.  He's currently in the  basement building me a cornice for a triple window for our master bedroom.   I'll have a post on that once it's completed. 

     For now, I couldn't leave the mantel bare.  In fact, I was feeling pretty energized last night and began to style it. 


 
Not looking very pretty, but it felt like a new space to decorate again.
 

 
Here's a break down of my mantel.  This tea caddy was purchased from the Bombay Company a few years ago.  I love using books to add height.

 
I love these sconces from Ballard Designs.  I had them in my last house as well.

 
This glass vase I purchased at the dollar store and used a vinyl letter from craft cuts to personalize it.  I  threw in some limes, and we're in business.

 
 Here's a full on view.  Eventually, my plan is to cover up all the brick.  I dream of a beautiful wood fireplace.  Above the mantel will have either molding or fretwork.




Here's my home goods find....I need to make a home goods run once a month.  The yellow vase is from Anthropologie.
 
I recently purchased this print from The Pink Pagoda.  I actually bought 2 of them and my intention was to put them on either side of my bed, but it just didn't look right.  The frame was originally black and from Target but I sprayed it gold.
 
 
 
Remember this Goodwill find?  I showed you in yesterdays post  about placing artwork in unexpected places.  The yellow frame never really grew on me.

 
A little rub n buff to the rescue.

 
Okay, so I ended up getting some rub n' buff on the actual painting.  I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  I did take this sunburst mirror I recently purchased from Wayfair.

 
I have a coffee table to go seal.  It never ends....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment