Monday, December 23, 2013

Designing and decorating a little girl's room

     Today I spent the day compulsively scrubbing the entire house.  It looks really great but I know it won't last long.  While I cleaned, my husband managed to injure himself, put together an Ikea bed, realize that after Christmas he has to take apart the bottom of the bed, and to top it all off he did tons of laundry.  What a great guy! Anyhow, I'm trying to ready the house for the onslaught of new stuff coming in.  I did manage to give away a few things, tried to sell others, and had to toss some things that were missing pieces.

     Progress is being made in my girl's room.  For starters the bed is together, well sort of.  After putting it together, my husband realized he installed something backwards but it shouldn't be a big deal to correct it (or so he says).  We purchased the twin size mattress at Ikea, but after the holidays we will be getting her a better quality mattress.  We still need to get one more bed for daughter #2.  

     I wish I took before shots.  We've been in our home for 7 years, but in the 6 years it's been her room, it's undergone a few makeovers.  Her nursery was shabby chic, her toddler room was Lilly Pulitzer, and now this room is a little more grown up.

     Here's her crib converted into a toddler bed, which is the best investment ever. 


I took the bedding off and placed the baskets on top, just so I could mop the floor.  

Here's the new bed.  I don't iron sheets as you can tell, actually I don't iron at all.


As you can see the drawers don't quite line up...oops.  I was pleasantly surprised with how much the drawers can fit.  This will be perfect as the girls get older.  We are also going to be upholstering a head, foot and side board for this bed as well as the other one.  I haven't fully committed yet to a fabric.  More on that later with no doubt, a "how not to upholster these things". :-) Here's a look at what my inspiration page looks like.



 The owl is being moved around as well as many of the other pieces of furniture.  The room is in an L-shape which makes things difficult as well as having this one odd wall. 

The print on the wall is her initials.  It was a free printable I found online.  Wish I still had the link.  I made 2, 1 for each girl and hung them in frames I already owned.  I'll be adding more artwork to the walls over time.  I've found some really wonderful abstract paintings on Etsy with the perfect colors. 



This is one of my favorite DIY pieces I have ever made.  I used hot pink vinyl cut outs of various breeds of dogs from craft cuts.  I put them on melamine plates I purchased at Target over the summer and hung them with command strips.  The original inspiration came from here.  This project took less than 10 minutes to do once the vinyl came in and was around $40 for both the plates and the cut outs. 

You will notice I used the same vinyl cut outs here as well.  And yes I moved "Hootie" once again.  I still need to dress up the hardware, unfortunately the new pulls came with the wrong size screws.


Inspiration for this piece was found here.


Check back this week for a part 2 on the progress.  I just have to keep reminding myself that the room will come together eventually, and I am making a space that is truly lovely and unique for my special little girls.

Have a wonderful Holiday with family and friends!!