Tuesday, November 26, 2013

DIY Holiday Decor Inspiration..

    Here come the holidays, ready or not.....


      I've spent the morning with my 2 yr. old cuddling under the blanket and watching "Barney's Christmas" movie. It's cold today and yes I know it is November after all, but I am being a cold weather wimp.  It's the kind of day where you curl up on the sofa, coffee in hand, and look for inspiration on Pinterest.  You know what I mean? Oh and play a game of peek-a-boo.


     For years I use to buy holiday decorations right after Christmas.  My house looked and felt like a department store. Every square inch of my home had something to remind you of what time of year it was, just in case you forgot.  What I cherished most then, and still do, are the hand-made ornaments my children have made throughout the years.  They are always prominently displayed on our Christmas tree.  Each of them delights in placing their own ornament and sometimes will secretly move the other's ornament out of the way to spot light their own.  Kids, what are you going to do? 

     I've started to move away from the commercial aspects of the Holidays, and really reflect on what I want to give my children as warm, happy memories.  I find myself gravitating towards a more hand-made, relaxing and use of natural elements in my  home decor to bring out the true meaning of Christmas.  An oasis of calm and peacefulness inside, where we can shut out briefly the hustle and bustle of everyday life. 

     This year I'm going to focus more on affordable, simple, DIY, holiday decorating that I can make. I've turned to Pinterest to find many inspiring projects, and I hope you as well find something to be inspired by.


Click here for the full tutorial.



Click here for the full tutorial.




 What a cute and simple ornament to have my children make.  They can even personalize it.  Click here for the full tutorial.


Here's the how-to on this one.
1.You should be able to find these large styrofoam balls at any craft store.
2.  I suggest spray painting these first in your desired color.
3.  Use a spray adhesive,  (Something you can find at your local craft store).
4. Sprinkle some glitter and then spray a sealant to keep the glitter on your DIY ornament.



 Click here for more information.


 Click here for the full tutorial.

I think I'm going to have a fun and festive weekend of DIY projects.  Share with me any creative ideas you might have for the upcoming holiday season.



No comments:

Post a Comment