Saturday, November 30, 2013

Decorating is a sloooow process

     Decorating is something that is cultivated over time.  Sometimes a loooooong time.  It's also something that tends to change over time as our personal tastes evolve.  I can remember when my husband and I rented our townhouse over 16 years ago.  It was small, and I was into collecting bunnies.  I loved the blue and mauve color scheme from that time period, and everything had a "country primitive" vibe to it.  

     Then we bought our first house.  It was a 1920 Dutch Colonial, with a lot of charm and character but with much needed updates already in place.  My style of decor changed, and my first floor was very formal in appearance.  The second floor where the bedrooms and full bath were located was very "shabby chic". 

    That's also when I discovered my love of old furniture versus the newer stuff. There's just something about sitting at a table or on a chair that was loved and cherished previously.  I also love the endurance of time, I need kid tested furniture.  My second house is a 1929 cottage style bungalow.  When it was first built, it was set up as 2 apartments, somewhere along the way it was converted to a single family.  This house was far from my already previously done home.  In fact 7 years later, we are still remodeling, repairing, undoing and re-doing what was done before.  It fit the definition of fixer-upper, but a lot of progress has been made in that time.  

     Now, I am going from room to room and redecorating.  My focus is on one room at a time.  Taking time to look at what the needs of my family and myself are.  Paying attention to every detail, and I find myself falling in love with my home all over again. I've found Pinterest to be an invaluable tool, as well as magazines and blogs.  There are just so many creative and unique ideas out there.  

     My process is simple.  I pin everything that strikes a cord with me.  I try and keep my boards organized and in groupings.  For example, different picture arrangements, color schemes, styles of furniture, etc.  I also pin lots of finished rooms.  You never know what that "thing" will be to inspire you.  

     I showed you in one of my earlier post the inspiration behind my girl's room.   It took months for me to put the room together on Pinterest and I know it will take a long time for it to be finished, but progress is being made.  I am beginning to see all of my pins come to life, and I am so excited for the finished product.  

     In the meantime, I hit a thrift store I had never been to before.  It was just okay, but I did manage to find some goodies.  Here they are, as well as my future plans for them.





I have a great not to far off in the future project for the glass hurricane, which was a real bargain at $2.50. It's kind of a toss up between this project, which you can find out more here.


And another great glass etching project here.



 I also purchased a glass frog for flower arranging and the bag of pine cone ornaments.  I will be cutting off the gold ornament part.





     I'm not sure if I will be keeping the milk glass glasses.  Sounds kind of like a tongue tie.  I found this set of 8 in perfect condition, and found the same exact set minus 1 glass on Etsy selling for $33. My set cost a whopping $8.  That's right a buck a cup.  

Are you rolling your eyes yet at the milk glass?  I have a plan for these.  I glimpsed just a peek at this milk glass vase containing an herb.


You can follow the link here.

Okay time for me to stop blogging and get to actually doing some of these projects!  Leave a comment below and let me know what you love to pin most on Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment