Thursday, May 12, 2016

Drum roll please...Final Reveal of the Girl's only playroom

For 5 out of the 6 weeks, my hands have been covered in various shades of white, off-white, pinks, and orange paint. I don't want to pick up a paint brush for a very long time, or roller for that matter. At the start of the 6 week challenge it seemed like such a long time to start and finish just one room. Well, it really boils down to 5 weeks but who's counting? They say time flies when you are having fun but I can tell you it goes just as fast when you aren't having a good time. Okay, shopping is a lot of fun.

Here's what I've learned, if you tell the kids they can't use the playroom for 6 weeks, all their toys will end up in the living room, dining room, kitchen and even the bathroom. Yes, the bathroom, Barbie and friends were having a spa day in the sink, trying on very expensive perfume and lathering up with lotion.

I've also learned that I'm very lucky to have such a supportive husband that is willing to make a 100 trips to Lowes, Ikea, Target and yard sales for goodies, that his insane wife must have now, not later. The man is a saint for turning a blind eye at what I've spent.

It helps too, to have super talented friends with amazing photography skills that are willing to come take photos of your kid's playroom. Thank you Cara, I totally owe you a re-do of your bookshelves. If you are in the Maryland area, I suggest you check out her site Walen photography.  She also does real estate photos.

I want to take a minute to thank everyone that has offered kind words and tons of encouragement while I questioned every choice I made. I know its not that interesting to hear me go back and forth about whether the pom-poms should be orange or hot pink. 

And last but not least, to my 2 little girls that are growing up way too fast. I hope you always have warm and happy memories of your childhood home and of your very pink, very girlie play space to call your own.  Also, keep it clean because this shit was expensive.

Without further ado...


Ta da.....I freaking love it all!




My last minute monogram additions to the room.



Barbie has never had it so luxe before.

Large pink pillow covers can be found at ElemenOPillows


In a later post on sources, I will give out detailed information on the Wallpaper, and the fancy schmancy molding I used. Also, I will have a much more detailed post on where I purchased everything.

I got my pop of orange by way of adding vinyl decals to the containers. 

Lets get close up and personal now. Lots of detailed photos. I get all my favorite photographs custom framed. You can click underneath the picture for the company I use. The picture of my girls were taken by a good friend and talented photographer Rachel Rock.



Here is the personalized art I hinted at in an earlier post. Both of my girls have beloved "stuffies" they sleep with at night and cherish. I found on Etsy, this amazing seller that does custom toy portraits. She's also participating in the 6 week ORC Challenge, you can find her under Name Sake Design.





These monograms were my last purchase for the room. They shipped in no time, and were super easy to spray paint. I hung them with simple sawtooth picture hangers. 






My label maker was on overdrive during this challenge. I label the lids of the containers as well. 




These 3 prints are so much fun and infuse such playfulness into the room. It was hard making a selection because I wanted them all. You can find them here at ShannSpishakStudio.


Details on the faux fern, container, and pink pug decal will be on a later post. Did you notice that orange door?


These floor cushions are the best. This Etsy seller is close by and saved me money in shipping by suggesting we meet. You can find them here, at ZenTreasuresYoga. I even staged the doll houses and made cute fabric rugs for each of the rooms.


More about the Serena and Lilly basket in a future post, or you can read about it here.


How cute are these grosgrain faux roman shades? I'll share more about the actual fabric on a future source post, but if you are in need of custom romans, check out JamieInteriors.

Sorry, back to grainy iphone pics after you've been spoiled with professional pictures. These white linen, pinch pleated cafe curtains are the perfect touch to this room, adding much needed privacy from my front porch. My picture really doesn't do them justice. You can find them here at, LaFortuneLinens. If you love Buffalo check, then you should definitely check her out.



How cute are these pom-pom trimmed curtain panels? If you remember my original plan first mentioned here, then you know my plan was to disassemble the interior closet and paint it orange. As the challenge went on, I began to waver with that design option. The interior paint is still a bright white, the metal shelving would have been a pain to take out, and I was just feeling done with painting as I mentioned here. I had thought several times about using drapery panels to hide away the toys, but knew I didn't want just plain white.This is a fun room and needs fun elements to it. If you haven't caught on yet, I make a lot of purchases off of Etsy and I've never been dissatisfied. You can find these cute curtain panels here at, ChesapeakeCottage.


I forgot to add my new registers to my last post from Signature Hardware. I chose the antique brass, although I originally thought I would go with the shinier looking brass. I will be purchasing more of their registers as I move along in decorating rooms. 


I am not sponsored nor do I receive any discounts of the products I purchased for this 6 week challenge. I did however, receive final reveal pictures from my good friend who is clearly talented and you should hire her. 

I will have a later post on sources for everything as well as a cost break down.  For now, before I have a break down, I need a break.

 You can find all my past posts below.

Thank you Linda from calling it home for setting up this wonderful design challenge for both the featured designers as well as guest participants like myself.
Please check out the amazing featured designers here.
For the guest participants like myself, please check them all out here.. You won't be disappointed!



No comments:

Post a Comment