Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I wake up in the middle of the night with to do lists.





I can't believe how long the Pottery Barn storage wall system took me to chalk paint and then wax.  At times I felt like the Karate Kid with waxing on but never waxing off.




Seriously a total of 3 weeks and some change, but now the monstrosity is done and back to housing toys. Toys that are completely labeled I might add. I ordered the rest of the knobs, and as I write this post I'm hoping they will be in by week's end. The brass pulls haven't been installed yet because it requires drilling 1 new hole, filling the existing one with wood putty, sand, paint, and then wax. 



Here's a glimpse of 1 side. I might still play around with how they are arranged. I like symmetry but I also like keeping similar items together.





The ceiling is not finished and neither is the light fixture. I need my husband to get those 2 things done. I added Lilly Pulitzer paper pom poms for fun. I've had them for sometime now. I got them when a store I frequent, was selling a ton of stuff for just a buck.


Blah grainy iPhone pictures.  I have a very talented friend that has offered her photographic expertise to me when I am finished with the room. I will give you all her contact info as well as sources on the last post, that's if I don't pass out from fumes and exhaustion.



I went to a neigboring Community yard sale last weekend and found something unexpected and awesome for only $10.  It's from Pottery Barn teens and it's a magazine wall holder. I plan on using it for their books that come with CD's. I might even change it up a bit if I have the time. Also, another little 5 minute project got done.  I took a light switch cover and an outlet cover (only 1 each in the entire room) and I spraypainted it a bright orange.



Another thing I can cross off my list is all the base molding is finished. It actually didn't take me long at all. I usually use a bright white for all my trim but chose to go with a soft off white instead. The walls have been patched, so the real change with wall paint can begin. For me, that can be the most exciting part of a room makeover.  I feel a color change can re-energize a room.  We (by that I mean my husband) uses a laser level to mark off the lines. Because walls are never level, we have to do some taking steps back and eyeballing. My biggest tip when using painters tape is to be sure to pull the tape off when the paint is still wet. Right after that last paint stroke, pull it off. I am starting with the very top row to paint and the 3rd row.


I love this shade of pink.  Actually, I love all 4 from the swatch that I picked out. This color is Cerise. It's a very deep, dark pinkish-red color.



Next weekend when I'm not shopping my Community yard sale, I will be painting the remaining 2 stripes, or really the remaining 2 walls will be getting started on.

Any time I take a picture of this wall it really comes across as bowed. It doesn't look like this when standing in the room at all.

And just cause everyone loves a good mess that isn't their own to clean. *Update* this little mess is cleaned up and gone, but the entire room currently looks like a bomb went off.  I've had to push everything into the center of the room in order to work. 



Next week my plan is to have...

  1. Ceiling completely finished.
  2. Light fixture cover needs to be up.  I got the remaining light bulbs.
  3. My faux roman shades have been shipped.  I want to get them up, iron the cafe curtains, and change out the rings to smaller ones. 
  4. walls at least 80% if not completely finished.
  5. I'd like to get started on the closet and maybe even  painting the door.
  6. I'm still waiting on the wallpaper which means framing out a section of it with molding is going to be pretty tight time frame.
  7. I need to order the brass floor registers.
Just called the wallpaper store and got an update it will be here on Friday. I'm doing my little happy dance. 

Please check out all the featured designers, here. You won't be disappointed. You can check out the other participants, like myself here.



No comments:

Post a Comment