Monday, February 24, 2014

Using attic eaves in old houses

     Ever notice how most old houses have these quirky little spaces?  When my house was originally built in 1929, it was built as 2 apartments.  My downstairs floorplan looks like most of the houses in the neighborhood with the exception that my stairway to go up is in the back of the house, whereas, my stairs to the basement are where the stairs leading up would have been like most of the homes in my neighborhood. 

     My upstairs floorplan is less than ideal for current living as a 1 family home, but made sense as an apartment.  My bedroom or the master is the largest room upstairs.  It was formerly the living room, and really does offer a lot of room as well as some quirky spaces like attic eaves.  Great for storage but wasn't looking so good.  I'm not entirely done with the space, I still have to give the back of the door a second coat of paint, and possibly attach a mirror to it.

 
 
Needs a second coat for sure.
 
I purchased Martha Stewart bead board wall paper for the interior walls and ceiling. 
 
 
I still have a back corner to finish and some painting on the opposite wall, where there is no dry wall.
 
 
The flooring is individual carpet tiles, and covers all of the floor.  It took just one box.  This area actually goes a little further back but I would have to crawl to get anything from the way back.  It just wasn't going to be useable space.
 
I don't have before pictures but let me show you how this space now functions.
 

 
I had all the California Closet systems from my last house.  This one on the left holds all of my ribbons, bows, boxes, and gift bags.
 

 
The middle one with the boxes hold all of my keepsakes.

 
This one on the left is my Husband's.  He's like the kids in respect to the fact he keeps a lot of junk. Sorry Honey :-)  You can see a peek of the wall in the back.  Still needs to get painted.
 

 
I stuck a basket back here, which now holds all of my wrapping paper as well as my left-over wallpaper.

 
I wallpapered the exterior of each of these little doors, just to give it a little something.
 
The skinny, tall door on the right is organized and labeled as well.  You will just have to wait for my final reveal of this room, *sigh* one day.
 
I also have some exciting news to share with you all.  On March 1st, I will be launching a second blog.  I'll give you a hint...it has something to do with my love/obsession with Pinterest. ;-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment