Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Built-ins for Ironstone

Before we started remodeling our kitchen, I scoured through Pinterest creating board after board of things I really liked.  This helped me narrow down what we could do in the space we had.  I knew I wanted a way to display my ironstone but also be able to use it.  I found my inspiration from this picture below.




I would have loved to have used the Ikea bookcases shown, but they measured too high.  Hiring a Carpenter to do it all was an option, but a costly one. (We still need a Carpenter to add molding and give it that built-in feel).  I  spent weeks looking  online for the exact measurements I needed, but couldn't find one with 3 shelves that would fit. My next option was to find a small enough bookcase with 2 shelves at a reasonable price, and close to the height I needed. I found these bookcases below on Amazon.  I've purchased 3, which leaves room under the counter but not enough for a fourth bookcase.




The plan now is to hire a Carpenter to raise the bookcases slightly, hide the gap between the top of the bookcase and underneath the counter, and attach molding along the fronts to hide the fact they are individual bookcases.



I use the magazine holders from Ikea to hold all of the kid's learning materials like workbooks, extra paper, and worksheets from School they might need.  The ironstone vegetable tureen on the bottom shelf holds things like pencils, calculator, and erasers.



I've also put to use a few tureens without lids and a compote to hold each of my children's candy stash from Christmas.


Close-ups of some of my pieces.




Currently filling out the space is our one stop pet feeding station for both the dogs and cats.  The original idea came from Pinterest from an uploaded user photo.  The vinyl decals and supplies label came from Craftcuts.




Ironstone pieces have come in handy in creating a quick pet treat station.



The pet dish station is no longer available but was purchased from Anthropologie years ago.



The mat was a very easy DIY project.  I used a place mat from Ikea, cut the indoor-outdoor fabric we used for the window treatments and hot glued the fabric in place.  I then used Scotch Guard to treat the fabric and give it another layer of protection.


For now our pet station has found a home but I think eventually I will move it as I often do. I'm considering making this into our recycling center using the Ikea Trofast system.


All of these projects will be done sometime in 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment